Leadership for Equity and Excellence
AASPA Book Store | Leadership
By James Joseph Scheurich & Linda Skrla
When true equity prevails, all students can be successful students!
Do you dream of success for every student? Do you dream of raising achievement for each and every child to meet the requirements of the No Child Left Behind Act? Historically, underserved students-children of color, children from low-income families and English language learners-all deserve to live this dream. Creating an equitable learning environment in which all students thrive is possible-with this guide you can turn dreams into reality for your school.
Leadership for Equity and Excellence encourages school leaders and teachers to develop creative strategies for student advancement using tools such as accountability, equity audits and proactive redundancy. Scheurich and Skrla demonstrate how deeply held beliefs manifest as biases, preventing educators from unlocking their students’ potential. The authors also examine the U.S. education achievement gap and suggest several concepts for overcoming this gap, such as:
- Eliminating can’t from your vocabulary
- Using creativity, perseverance and persistence
- Envisioning educators as civil rights workers
- Moving beyond harmful, but entrenched, biases
- Understanding the cultures and backgrounds of each student
- Children of color excelling in school . . . children from low-income homes thriving academically . . . classrooms, communities and even a nation of people becoming truly equal-this is the living dream of today’s educators.