Director III, Employee Relations - VA
Job Title: Director III, Employee Relations
School District: Fairfax County Public Schools
City/State: Fairfax, Virginia
Where to Apply: http://careers.fcps.edu/
Position Open Until: 6/30/2023
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS), one of the nation’s largest school divisions, is seeking a dynamic leader to serve as the Director of Employee Relations. FCPS, located in the Washington, DC region, serves a diverse student population of more than 181,000 students in grades pre-K through 12. FCPS students and families come from all over the world and speak over 200 languages. It is the third largest employer in Virginia with over 25,000 full-time employees and an operating budget of over $3.4 billion.
Description: Directs a large broad-based multi-sectioned office in the Department of Human Resources responsible for the Office of Employee Relations functions and/or programs; plans, organizes, supervises, and evaluates all activities, program functions, personnel, and physical and fiscal resources for the office; ensures the fair and equitable treatment of staff in compliance with federal civil rights, state regulations, workplace equity, policy, and process; directs the investigation, negotiation, and resolution of complaints; manages the administration of employee performance practices; provides guidance to the division leadership, school-based administrators, staff, and community agencies; and is responsible and accountable for strategic planning and outcomes.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a master's degree in human resources, education, public administration, or a directly related discipline.
• Seven (7) years of progressively more responsible experience with federal civil rights law compliance and investigations, some of which shall have been in a supervisory or leadership capacity. o Advanced degree(s) beyond the minimum degree requirement in a relevant field may be considered for some experience.
• Knowledge of policies, procedures, and mandates related to civil rights, employee relations, and the PreK- 12 environment.
• Proficiency in the use of technology and data compilation, analysis, and reporting.
• Ability to devise and maintain a program management plan to ensure that FCPS remains in compliance with all governing federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and guidelines for civil rights and employee relations functions.
• Ability to manage fiscal, physical, and human resources necessary to carry out the office's employee relations functions and programs
• Ability to supervise and lead highly effective teams.
• Ability to conduct complicated administrative studies.
• Ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with personnel assigned to schools, other departments, public entities, and citizens.
• Ability to facilitate meetings and/or present information to groups.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Experience working within the PreK-12 environment.
• Senior Professional in Human Resources (SHRM-SPHR, SCP, or pHCLE).