Coordinator of English as a Second Language (ESL) and World Languages
School District: Kalamazoo Public Schools
City/State: Kalamazoo, MI
Where to Apply: http://www.kalamazoopublicschools.com
Position Open Until: 4/15/2020
*Interested applicants should apply online and attach their application to this posting.
Plans, monitors, coordinates and implements ESL services and World Languages in elementary and secondary schools. Ensures compliance with federal, state regulations and district program guidelines.
Nurture the dreams of all students and empower all students to contribute to a better world.
- Communicates ESL and World Language programs, procedures, guidelines as well as federal and state regulations to staff members, parents, and the public.
- Implements instructional programs designed to increase the achievement of ESL
- and World Language students to ensure that they are college ready.
- Collaborates with curriculum coordinators to design and implement ESL and World
- Language instructional and assessment programs aligned with the district and state standards and expectations.
- Coordinates, facilitates and monitors the development of curriculum aligned to state standards and expectations.
- Serves as the liaison between the district and community agencies to assist students needing ESL services.
- Serves as the liaison between the district and post secondary institutions to seek out opportunities and programs to ensure high school graduation and to provide post secondary options.
- Reviews and evaluates the curriculum through continuous monitoring.
- Assists the director of curriculum, instruction and professional development in the annual goal planning to meet system-wide curriculum and instruction objectives.
- Assists the building administrator in the monitoring and evaluating of teachers in ESL and World Language programs.
- Serves as the liaison between the district and the Michigan Department of Education and
- Federal Office of Education with respect to the ESL.
- Prepares, oversees and monitors budgets for ESL and World Language expenditures.
- Prepares Title III budget for ESL programs.
- Prepares and submits required federal and state program reports and evaluations for ESL.
- Provides opportunities for parent involvement in planning, implementing and evaluating the ESL.
- Ensures that the curriculum reflects the district’s improvement plan.
- Reports to and keeps the director of curriculum, instruction, and professional development updated and informed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree with courses in areas such as educational leadership, curriculum development, evaluation, assessment and instruction, and/or other relevant areas.
- Three years successful administration or classroom performance in ESL and/or World Language.
- Possesses or is eligible for Michigan K-12 Administration Certification.
- Appropriate course work in language acquisition and ESL.
- Evidence of successful experience in the areas of curriculum development, teaching and learning.
- Knowledge of effective school models and state-of-the-art research on techniques of teaching behaviors.
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Successful experience in a diverse urban school district.
- Successful work history.
- Successful experience with community agencies/institutions.
- Knowledge of Charlotte Danielson’s Framework for Teaching.
Internal candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume to the Human Resources Department attention:
Sheila Dorsey-Smith, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources
Kalamazoo Public Schools
Department of Human Resources
1220 Howard Street
Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008
(269) 337-0178 | FAX (269) 337-0185
Kalamazoo Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit our web site at www.kalamazoopublicschools.com