Secondary Assistant Principal
School District: Kalamazoo Public Schools
City/State: Kalamazoo, MI
Where to Apply: http://www.kalamazoopublicschools.com
Position Open Until: 11/27/2020
OUR MISSION: Nurture the dreams of all students and empower all students to contribute to a better world.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES: Assistant Principal is responsible for providing assistance to the principal in the administration of a large, urban secondary school.
- Assists with the planning, implementation and evaluation of educational programs.
- Supervises the work of professional and classified employees as assigned.
- Administers district policies and procedures concerning discipline and attendance.
- Assures the safety and welfare of students.
- Assists with planning and implementation of programs for parent groups, staff, and community agencies, and promotes positive public and school-community relations.
- Supervises support programs such as food services, bus loading, lunch supervision and transportation as assigned.
- Assists with the management and care of the school plant equipment and materials.
- Supervises extra-curricular activities.
- Assists with accreditation activities.
- Assists with the planning and supervision of a balanced student activities program.
- Administers building and district programs for vocational and career-education preparation and placement with (1) comply with Title IX and XII, (2) provide non-traditional opportunities for students, and (3) provide quality experiences for students with special needs.
- May serve as lead building administrator in the absence of the principal.
- Performs other duties as assigned. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS 1. Three to five years of successful teaching experience or comparable successful experience working with students. 2. Master's degree in administration, supervision, curriculum or related areas. 3. Meet or be willing to meet the State school administrator’s certification requirements. 4. Demonstrate advanced skills in computer utilization of educational materials and student information systems. 5. Demonstrate advanced organizational and communication skills with students, parents and staff. 6. Must possess a positive work history.
- Successful experience in a multicultural, urban school district.
- Educational administration experience.
- Knowledge of human service agencies.
- Graduate credits in pupil personnel administration, testing, vocational guidance, special education or communications.
- Knowledge of performance assessment, curriculum development and learning styles.
- Demonstrated ability to work with various groups including those with diverse backgrounds.
- Experience in management of student discipline and attendance with the ability to establish programs and procedures to improve student behavior and attendance.
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and the ability to relate to students, staff and parents.
Interested applicants should apply online and attach their application to this posting. Internal applicants should submit a letter of interest and a current resume to the Human Resources Department attention: Sheila Dorsey-Smith, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources Kalamazoo Public Schools Department of Human Resources 1220 Howard Street Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008 (269) 337-0177 FAX (269) 337-0185 Visit our web site at http://www.