Chief Financial Officer - GA
Job Title: Chief Financial Officer
School District: Dekalb County School District
City/State: Stone Mountain, Georgia
Where to Apply: https://www.applitrack.com/dekalbschoolsga/onlineapp
Position Open Until: 02/06/2023
General Statement of Job
Under limited supervision, ensures the daily implementation of financial functions which are fundamental to the effective and efficient operation of a large, urban school system; has oversight responsibility for the planning, organization, and coordination of operations of all programs, services and matters related to the school system’s Division of Finance; assists the Superintendent in ensuring compliance with established Board goals, the school system’s strategic plan, and all legal and procedural requirements attendant to the effective operation of the school system.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are representative for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Oversees all compliance and recognition for government (federal and state) contracts and private grants. Individual must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace while managing a finance staff and is responsible for all aspects of personnel management for employees assigned to the division.
- Ensures that duties, responsibilities authority and accountability of all direct and indirect subordinates are defined, understood and properly executed; directs monitors and appraises the performance of departments/work units; has ultimate responsibility for fiscal management of funds allocated to departments/work units in the division
- Assesses the benefits of all prospective contracts and advise the senior team on programmatic design and implementation matters
- Ensures adequate controls are installed and that substantiating documentation is approved and available such that all purchases may pass independent and governmental audits
- Provides the Superintendent with an operating budget
- Works with the Superintendent to ensure programmatic success through cost analysis support, and compliance with all contractual and programmatic requirements. This includes: 1) interpreting legislative and programmatic rules and regulations to ensure compliance with all federal, state, local and contractual guidelines, 2) ensuring that all government regulations and requirements are disseminated to appropriate personnel, and 3) monitoring compliance
- Oversees the production of monthly reports including reconciliations with financial statements and cash flow projections for use by senior management, as well as the DeKalb County School District Board of Education
- Oversees the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, reports to funding agencies, development and monitoring of organizational and contract/grant budgets
- Develops and maintains internal controls systems to safeguard financial assets of the organization and oversee federal awards and programs. Oversee the coordination and activities of independent auditors ensuring all audit issues are resolved, and all compliance issues are met, and the preparation of the annual financial statements is in accordance with federal, state and other required supplementary schedules and information
- Oversees the maintenance of the inventory of all fixed assets, including assets purchased with government funds (computers, etc.) assuring all are in accordance with federal regulations
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or closely related area is required. Master’s degree in the previous areas is preferred.
Minimum ten (10) years of administrative level experience in Finance, Accounting, Business Management or closely related experience is required. Experience at the previous levels in an education oriented organization is preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Permits: Certification as a public accountant (CPA) by the IACPA is preferred.
Valid Georgia Professional Standards Commission approved certificate in educational leadership at level L-5, NL-5, PL-6 or above required. If a level L-5, NL-5, PL-6 or above certificate is not held, the individual must be eligible for the NPL certificate in educational leadership or Support Personnel License from the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.