Chief Financial Officer
School District: Lee's Summit School District
City/State: Lee's Summit, MO
Where to Apply: https://lsr7.tedk12.com/hire/
Position Open Until: 7/8/2020
Job Title: Chief Financial Officer
Job Description:This position is responsible for providing information and serving as a resource to others; achieving defined objectives by planning, evaluating, developing, implementing and maintaining services in compliance with established guidelines and developing recommendations for process enhancements. This position serves as a member of the superintendent’s leadership team. This job reports to the Assistant Superintendent of Operational Services.
Purpose Statement: The job of Chief Financial Officer was established for the purpose/s of providing broad responsibility for the oversight of all business/financial activities including budget, accounting, benefits, payroll, grants administration, accounts payable, purchasing card, purchasing, third party billing, and treasury. Responsible for advising the assistant superintendent of operational services, superintendent and/or the school board on all financial matters. Sets goals and objectives and oversees the management of fiscal resources in excess of $250 million annually.
- Responsible for the annual budget process working in conjunction with the Assistant Superintendent of Operational Services.
- Oversees and ensures the effective direction of all aspects of funds management.
- Prepares financial reports to the board of education.
- Presents financial information to a variety of stakeholders.
- Supports the financial goals of the school system.
- Ensures financial compliance with state and federal laws and regulations; and all local, state and federal reporting requirements.
- Provides schools with information and resources necessary to achieve goals.
- Assists principals and other budget managers in implementing and monitoring their budget expenditures.
- Meets with parent and community groups and other interested parties to explain the structure of financial support to the school system.
- Prepares cost estimates for grant applications and other initiatives. Ensures the effective administration, accounting, and reporting of grant activities.
- Defines strategic direction for area of responsibility, and leads assigned teams in developing recommendations for strategic long-term goals related to assigned area of responsibility.
- Creates and manages budget for area of responsibility.
- Develops and monitors time and expense project budgets. Develops project plans, work breakdown structures and schedules required to successfully complete projects on time and within budget constraints.
- Plans and controls departmental staffing, and performs other human resources, finance and payroll related functions for assigned employees.
- Manages assigned teams in the development, design, review, implementation and periodic revaluation of project plans and strategies to support the achievement of the departmental goals and objectives.
- Provides appropriate supervision, mentoring, and professional growth and development opportunities to assigned staff. Such responsibility includes the development and implementation of professional growth plans to include keeping abreast of current developments, literature, and technical sources of information.
- Confers with and advises subordinates on administrative policies and procedures, technical problems, priorities, and methods.
- Maintains a variety of manual and electronic fiscal information, files and records for the purpose of providing an up-to-date reference and audit trail. Prepares a wide variety of materials for the purpose of documenting activities and/or issues, meeting compliance requirements and/or providing supporting materials for requested actions.
- Participates and facilitates meetings, workshops, seminars, etc., for the purpose of identifying issues, conveying district practices, developing recommendations, supporting other staff, and/or serving as a district representative.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school board's policies and professional standards.
Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the overall business operations of the school district.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, highly complex, technical tasks with a need to periodically upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include:
- developing and administering budgets
- operating standard office equipment including utilizing pertinent software applications
- planning and managing multiple projects
- preparing and maintaining accurate records
- organizational skills; leadership; and training, developing and supervising staff.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform algebra and/or geometry; review and interpret highly technical information, write technical materials, and/or speak persuasively to implement desired actions; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: current trends and best practices within curriculum, instruction and assessment; concepts of professional growth; education code; federal and state grants management; pertinent codes, policies, regulations and/or laws; and accounting/bookkeeping principles, proficient in the use of technical and written applications including Microsoft Office.
ABILITY is required to be service-oriented when supporting customers, and oversee staff and build consensus among peer professionals unfamiliar with financial management, schedule a significant number of activities, meetings, and/or events; routinely gather, collate, and/or classify data; and consider a variety of factors when using equipment. Flexibility is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; analyze data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using a variety of standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with data of widely varied types and/or purposes; and utilize job-related equipment. Independent problem solving is required to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires analysis based on organizational objectives; and problem solving with equipment is moderate. Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: effective communication; adapting to changing work priorities; dealing with frequent and sustained interruptions; developing and maintaining positive working relationships; facilitating communication between persons with divergent positions; implementing change; maintaining confidentiality; meeting deadlines and schedules; providing direction and leadership; and setting priorities.
- Working independently under broad organizational guidelines to achieve unit objectives.
- Managing multiple departments.
- Supervising the use of funds for multiple departments.
- Utilization of resources from other work units is often required to perform the job's functions. There is some opportunity to significantly impact the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 80% sitting, 10% walking, and 10% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Ten years related work experience in financial management preferably in a large public sector or K-12 education environment, with proficiency in the use of technical applications including Microsoft Office. Education Equivalency Bachelor's degree in finance or a related area. Master's preferred. CPA preferred.
- Required Testing: None specified
- Certificates & License: None specified
- Continuing Educ/Training: None specified
- Clearances: Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance FLSA Status Exempt